Sophomores embark on Sophomore Day of Service

Koen+Ross%2C+left%2C+and+Alexandra+Traffalis+volunteered+at+St.+Vincent+de+Paul+last+year+for+Sophomore+Day+of+Service.+This+year%27s+event+is+Dec.+6+and+Mrs.+Dirksen+is+looking+for+parent+volunteers+to+help+with+driving.+

Maureen McDaid-Fraizer

Koen Ross, left, and Alexandra Traffalis volunteered at St. Vincent de Paul last year for Sophomore Day of Service. This year's event is Dec. 6 and Mrs. Dirksen is looking for parent volunteers to help with driving.

The Seton Daily Roar Staff

Seton sophomores will volunteer at Share House, the Clark County Food Bank and St. Vincent de Paul at the annual Sophomore Day of Service, Friday, Dec. 6.

“Seton has been doing a Sophomore Day of Service with students since we opened in 2009,” said head of campus ministry and volunteer coordinator Mrs. Erin Dirksen.

Mrs. Dirksen said she hopes the day of service will instill in students “a sense of the importance of service, teach them how to give back to the community, and help them grow closer as a class.”

Students will help sort food, clothing and toys and organize the pantry and hand out food at the different locations.

Mrs. Dirksen said she and the administration select the locations each year based on agency needs.

Junior Lauren Bell attended the service day last December and said the event “gave me the opportunity to grow closer to my classmates and help me discover something I enjoy doing.”

Fifty-six sophomores will likely attend.  Mrs. Dirksen is requesting 10 to 12 parent drivers for the event.  Anyone able to help should contact her at [email protected] Parents must have previously completed Safe Environment training.

The Clark County Food Bank distributes 6.6 million pounds of food and 5.5 million meals each year.  Share House cares for the homeless and hungry in the Vancouver area.  St. Vincent de Paul is a nonprofit organization that seeks to serve those in need.