Seton clubs: for the students, by the students

Keeping up with the clubs at Seton

Rebecca Vu, Staff writer

Besides many sports and academic opportunities, Seton also offers a variety of student-led clubs.

Seton has a multitude of Clubs that range from spending time in the outdoors to studying the law by way of trial reenactments in the courthouse. Many of these clubs are student started and lead, and require planning and goal setting from the students themselves. 

The ECO club, ran by Ellie Saunders and Tiffany Lo, aims to raise environmental awareness among Seton students. They hold fun monthly activities and events that celebrate the environment. However, this will require a lot of work from both leaders, including establishing plans and goals for the year. 

David Carrion created the Outdoors Club as a senior project because of his love for nature. Activities include serving the community by helping local organizations. He must always plan in advance by contacting the organizations, such as the Clark County Public Works, and ask about the details, including minor forms and sign-up.

The Outdoors Club also provides members the chance to experience activities in nature that one may not be able to participate in on a daily basis, including hiking, fishing, snowshoeing, and tree planting, in addition to volunteering. 

Additionally, there are several Seton clubs pertaining to careers after high school. Mock Trial and Health Occupations Club provides insight into fields such as law and medicine. 

“Out club is a place for high school students to hone their passion for the world of medicine and develop interest and awareness for certain areas of the medical world,” said Thanh Ngo, co-founder of the Health Occupations club. 

Mock trial participants gain a greater understanding about the law system, while learning hone daily skills, such as “communication and organization,” according to Erin McCoy, a co-leader of the Mock Trial team. 

Often, many of these clubs have mentors or guest speakers, who provide Seton students with valuable information that links back to the real world. Health Occupations Club asks specialty doctors to visit and speak about their jobs, while Mock Trial has two attorneys who mentor the students and guide them through the justice system.

In addition, Seton clubs provide a place of meeting for students with general interests outside of the career spectrum. 

The Multicultural Club is one example of a variety of students meeting, due to a common factor: celebrating different cultures. “I think this club is a good way to show diversity and a safe place for students to embrace their culture,” said Michaela Ephraim, senior and president of the Multicultural club. 

The Finer Things Book Club is also a community where high schoolers can join together under a common interest. This club is where book-lovers across Seton Catholic can unite together and discuss the recently read book. 

Despite the positive aspects these student-led clubs bring, the clubs and their leaders encounter difficulties.

The lack of assistance from adults is a large difficulty for some student-started clubs at Seton. The HOC club struggles with this, because of a lack of connections among the medical world and no adult mentor. 

Another hardship the ability of students to participate regularly in the clubs. “One of the biggest challenges is getting people to commit to the club,” said Lauren Bell, co-founder of the Finer Things Book Club. “Though we try to make our meetings accommodate other meetings and school events, there is always going to be a large group of people who are interested, but don’t have the time.”

Time to plan activities due to students’ busy schedules is another challenge. “A big difficulty this year has just been finding time to sit down and finalize plans,” said Ellie Saunders.  “As a senior, I’ve been extremely busy, and so it’s been tough getting the club off the ground.”

No matter the hardships these student-started clubs face, they provide unique opportunities and bring together a variety of people with different backgrounds with a common interest that unite Seton students. All of the effort put into these student led clubs have impacted the student body positively. 

Erin McCoy said, “The best part of this club is to see all of our hard work pay off.”