Help The Enviorment One Step at a Time

Jackie Ramsey, Writer, Editor

The Seton Community is about higher learning, deeper faith, and stronger character. These three values can be put to use in everyday life whether it is in your local community or worldwide. One place these values can be seen is in respect for your environment. Pope Francis’ encyclical about environmental stewardship highlights on our “throwaway culture” and the earth being our home. Environmental protection is one of many Catholic morals that can often be overlooked or ignored. It is important that we take into account the health of the environment and what we are doing to help it. Though it is not the first thought in our mind, it is good to form the good habits of healthy living and remind ourselves to take our environmental impact into account. Throughout our school, the question has been brought up, “Should we be recycling?” Our school has many recycling bins that fill up with recyclables everyday, but where do they go? Unfortunately, it costs more to recycle than it does to throw everything into the trash. At the moment, the school is in the process of getting money to start a recycling program. Currently, without the budget to be able to recycle, we must find alternative solutions to reduce our environmental imprint. It is up to the student body to take action in our school and be advocates for the world we live in.

Treating our school with respect and care takes a group effort. We cannot rely on one or two people to carry us all. There is lots of trash and unkept areas within our school that is left to be cleaned by others. Our student body is already making progress by cleaning our tables and stacking chairs at the end of lunch, but there is still much more we can do. There is garbage in the parking lot and unclaimed items in the locker rooms. One solution suggested by leadership that has been considered by our administration is to place weather-proof garbage cans outside in the parking lot to ensure that trash is placed there instead of the ground. Mr. Wright, the facilities manager for Seton, said, “Coming to a staff member and saying I don’t like it [does not work, students should] come with a solution,” just like leadership did with the trash bin situation. Mr. Wright supports the idea that leadership is taking initiative on projects and presenting answers to problems. Students at Seton are becoming more informed and versed in their knowledge of the world around them. With a school so young and malleable, it is up to the current student body to shape the culture and habits of the school in the right direction. The recycling situation in our school cannot be solved until the budget grows. Meanwhile, we, the students, need to compromise and find temporary, alternative solutions to the problem. Some helpful suggestions provided by some staff were to continue the good habits of “recycling” until the program is up and running. Until then, ask yourself, “What can I do to help my school be a cleaner, better place?”