Girls Soccer Game Reviews

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls Soccer Game Reviews

Tuesday, October 2nd

In their 9th game of the year, the Seton Catholic girl’s soccer team fought hard in an intense game against Stevenson. After ending the first half without a goal from either team, the game seemed to be headed towards a draw— that is, until freshman Shannon Coffey scored a goal with eight minutes and 20 seconds left on the clock. Spirits were high both on the field and in the stands, where, despite the less than pleasant weather, 26 of the Seton team’s classmates cheered the girls on from the student section. Mr. Rusk and several other encouraging faculty members, as well as family members of the team, all joined the students to support our girls as they played. “I really enjoyed the student section,” said co-captain Riley McDonough. “It was nice to have some motivation from them, and I think it helped us keep going and keep fighting.” This positive energy persisted even when Stevenson tied the score, making a goal with just a minute and 48 seconds before the end of the game. The unexpected tie sent the game into a double overtime— finally, fate of the game was left up to a series of penalty kicks, where just five attempts from each team would determine a winner. Seton players, Madie Manary and Shannon Coffey, both scored for Seton as the student section cheered wildly from the sidelines. However, the Stevenson team just barely pulled ahead, scoring four goals and ending the game. Regardless of the score at the end of the game, both Seton’s players and the crowd remained in positive spirits, reminding onlookers of our good sportsmanship that has always been a part of Seton Catholic’s core values.

Thursday, October 4th

Playing a soccer game while one team member short is no easy feat— yet that’s exactly what the Seton Catholic girl’s soccer team did. A match against White Salmon on Thursday, October 4th demonstrated just how hard-working our players are, each and every team member putting in extra effort to compensate for their missing eleventh player. “It was a good fight,” said sophomore Madi Manary. “We were a man down, but held our own.” And hold their own they did— a score of 0-0 at the end of the game’s first half demonstrated a strong defense, even when missing a player.

While the soccer team played on, a group of spectators gathered in the stands. Seton’s football team came out to watch the game and offer their support, among other Seton Catholic students. “The girls games are always fun to watch, and they keep the spectators on their toes,” said junior Jerrica Pachl as she cheered on her friends.

As the game went on, the cougars remained strong. A goal scored by White Salmon towards the middle of the second half won the game for the opposing team, but did nothing to disprove that Seton girl’s soccer team is a hard-working force to be reckoned with.