A Happy New Years Resolutions to All

Rebecca Vu, Writer

Starting the New Year off with fresh resolutions are often. The tough part is keeping them.

People make New Year’s resolutions for various reasons. They make them to get things done, give us purpose, keep us connected, and make us feel good. Goals give us clarity and guide us in a good directions, according to Psychologytoday.com.

Teens make goals to improve themselves, even at our own Seton Catholic.

Sophomore Michael Piazza says his goal for 2019 is to not procrastinate anymore because, “it keeps myself motivated to do things- it gives me something to look up to.” He set his resolutions because he realized that staying up late is not beneficial to his health. He has not yet been successful with his goal.

Senior April Pharo has a different take on setting goals.  She plans to make her goal small. “Small goals, like getting up a half hour earlier.” She says. April did this to motivate herself more in the future.

However, do students actually follow through with these goals?

Fellow Seton students say “mostly.” “Sometimes I stay up to 12 AM doing my homework.” Michael Piazza said.

According to the Miami Herald, Seton students are much like other people when it comes to keeping resolutions. Only 46% of the people who make resolutions actually follow through with them, according to the newspaper.

There are several reasons why they don’t.

A common explanation for failing New Year’s resolutions is giving up too easily. Shape.com says some teens may get “lazy” and just give in to their old habit.

Another reason is time management. Teenagers may realize their resolution is a major time commitment.

The final reason why someone doesn’t commit to a goal is due to not believing in themselves. The road to accomplishing resolutions is scary, which can frighten people back into their bad habits, according to Forbes.com.

However, gaining confidence to keeping New Year’s resolutions is a key factor in reaching goals. Senior April Pharo said, “To make a list of benefits and think of where you will be at the end of the year if you follow through with your resolutions.”

Teenagers especially could benefit from starting a habit of staying organized if their resolutions are related to school. To achieve his goal, Michael Piazza said, “using his planner, figuring out your schedule, communicating with teachers, and getting things done early,” could help him achieve preventing procrastination.

Sticking with New Year’s resolutions could also benefit people in the future. Keeping goals can affect people’s work ethic for example, in college.

Mrs. Dirksen, Seton’s Campus Minister, is known for getting tasks done efficiently. She suggests,

“Whether it be New Years Resolutions or ideals for school, practicing goals early on in life will transfer to your adult life,” Mrs. Dirksen said. “People should always be thinking of new goals and working towards them no matter their age.”

Starting early with New Year’s resolutions are important because they can ideally affect accomplishing simple tasks in the future.

New Year’s Resolutions are a good tactic to finishing goals efficiently and successfully. What matters is the drive to accomplishing these resolutions so the outcome and experience can benefit people in the future.