Seton’s Food Drive Marries Giving with Competitiveness

Zach Cowger, Writer

In the cold of winter, Seton students’ giving hearts glow warm as the annual Santa’s Posse food drive ramps up. Seton students are bringing in canned goods to make a traditional Christmas dinner a possibility for Clark County’s less fortunate.

For those unclear on the destination of their consumable donations, Santa’s Posse is an organization associated with the Clark County Sheriff’s department that provides food, toys, and Christmas cheer to families in need during the festive season.

In order to encourage participation, Seton’s four grades are competing with each other to win a mystery prize from Dr. Rusk and Ms. Lockwood. The details of the prize will be announced at the conclusion of the drive. Also, Seton as a whole is competing against Our Lady of Lourdes (OLL) school and parish to win a K9 Unit demonstration from the Clark County Sheriff’s office.

Seton ASB President Calley West talked about the impact the drive has on the school: “The annual food drive brings our school together by serving our community one item at a time.” Those who give are blessed just as much as those who receive, and this drive is a perfect example of this phenomenon.

The push for donations is officially active from Tuesday, November 13th to Tuesday, December 11th. Each food item brought in merits one point in the class competition and all class scores will be combined and compared with the final total from OLL. The Sheriff’s department suggests the following items as most useful during the holiday season: granola bars, peanut butter, powdered or canned milk, boxed cereal, and canned fruit, vegetables, tuna, and meat.

For Seton students looking to give, donations for grades 9, 10, 11, and 12 can be brought to Mr. Kutch, Mrs. Bustamante, Mrs. Nassib, and Mrs. Chase, respectively.

For further questions about the food drive and its associated competitions, feel free to contact a member of the ASB.