SC’s new volleyball coach: A harbinger of a great season

Koen Ross, Online Editor

Often, in high school sports, a coach can go underappreciated as an aspect of team success. However, at Seton Catholic, coaches step up to the challenge of bringing a team to its absolute best.

New head volleyball coach Kali Gesser is ready to chase brilliance in Seton athletics. The team has a “renewed sense of energy,” said Seton’s athletic director Phil Kent. Gesser’s most recent experience comes straight from Pullman, Washington. There she coached the Pullman High School Greyhounds and led them to state appearances at the 2A level, in 2017 and ‘18.

As an athlete herself, she played on two WSU volleyball teams, residing as the setter. Her team reached the NCAA tournament both years, in 2000 and ‘01.

In a press release Gesser said, “I am thrilled to join the Seton Catholic family. As a coach, I seek out schools that provide all aspects of our youth’s development and create an environment that fosters growth through trusted relationships.” We are sure that our new coach will take on the precedent of nurturing an environment that provides athletes with more than just coaching and training. 

Losing no seniors from the 2018-2019 season, Mr. Kent sees that the girls’ team has a “huge amount of excitement” for the coming year. It is with miniscule doubt that the girls team will surpass last year’s record, 1-13, by soaring bounds.

The first game will be a Jamboree at Union High School on September 5th.